Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hotel Diggi Palace Jaipur, India

My Indian adventure has began. Departed Sydney on Friday 9th & had a comfortable flight. Arrive in Mumbi at 6pm their time & was in for a shock!! I was in not way prepare for the assault on the senses that India is! Mumbi airport is being upgraded & we alighted the plane right into the middle of a construction site! The chaos & noise was unbelievable - people everywhere yelling & screaming at each other. Our customs check such as it was, was done outside the building on the dirt!! Eventually I got a taxi to the hotel. The chaos in the streets was beyond anything I had imagined. People, cars, motorbikes, push bikes & animals all sharing the road & everyone ignoring the road rules & traffic lights. The hotel was comfortable but situated right in the middle of a very poor area of Mumbi ...... all in all quite an experience!
My flight to Jaipur was uneventful - except I arrived at the airport to find that my flight was leaving 2 hours later. When I asked the attendant why it was delayed, he just shrugged his shoulders & said "no delay - scheduled has changed"!!!
Jaipur like Mumbi is a city crowded with people, animals & traffic & numerous pot holes..... Hotel Diggi Palace is charming. It is very old & renovations are in progress ....god only knows when they will be finished! My room is fine .....not luxurious by any means but quaint & comfortable. I slept well, was warm, had a nice hot shower this morning, & the food is delicious & cheap - so what else could one ask for! The door lock to my room is something to behold - I think it warrants a photo. I'm about to join one of the other woman & take a "tuk tuk" (a type of motorised rickshaw) to visit some of the local shops!
The workshops begin today at 5pm when we meet the tutors for high tea. Apparently we hit the markets tomorrow to purchase our sparkling bits & pieces to start creating - can't wait!!
Must away - sights to be seen, adventures to be had & money to be spent!!
Till the next blog ......

No comments: